We have been in planning mode recently trying to figure out any other trips for the year, specifically, our anniversary trip. All of this talk about vacations made Joey and I reminisce about our vacation to Hawaii earlier this year. It totally inspired me to make a tropical cupcake so I came up with a pineapple cupcake recipe with a coconut lime frosting! The recipe is below, but be sure to check out the video! I really liked the idea of a tropical cupcake because, as quickly as Fall is coming, it is still summer. It’s like my last little cupcake hoorah for the season!
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 can crushed pineapple
- Coconut cream from 2 cans of coconut milk (use the thick layer only)
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- 2 cups heavy cream
- In one bowl combine all of the ingredients: the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, egg, milk, shortening, and crushed pineapple. Be sure to put the dry ingredients on the bottom and the wet ones on top. Mix until fully combined.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners. Using an ice cream scoop, fill the liners 3/4 way full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 12-15 minutes. Let cool completely.
- For the Frosting:
- Open the cans of coconut milk and scrape the top thick layer off of the can and place in a bowl. Add the sugar, coconut extract, and lime zest. Beat with a mixer until the mixture starts to become fluffy. Add 2 cups of heavy whipping cream and continue to mix until stiff peaks form. Frost your cooled cupcakes.
- For more of a Hawaiian feel, I garnished mine with dried pineapple slices to look like a flower.